An article states researchers at Stanford University concluded that people can indeed control pain with their minds.
The interventions they learned to use were:
- To shift attention from the area of pain to some part of the body furthest away from the painful area.
- To concentrate attention on something pleasant: favorite music, a good story, or recollection of pleasant experiences.
- To relax using deep breathing and meditation techniques.
- To re-calibrate the level of pain; rather than thinking of the pain as severe or debilitating, they thought of it as harmless, weak, or non-threatening.
- To visualize soothing or healing processes at work on their pain.
Our minds are very powerful. Learning to harness this power can bring personal growth and development and, as we’re learning, even better health.
The Possible Mind are please to offer the Pain Management service to support you and your mind taking control of your discomfort. To learn more please check out our Pain Management page or contact us.